Last week, I turned 35. Unlike when I turned 18, 21 or 30, nobody asked how 35 felt. I suppose that’s because I’m now a “woman of a certain age,” and it’s indelicate to mention my advanced years. But if you’re curious, 35 really feels different to me. I’m no longer part of the 18- to 34-year-old demographic. I’m old enough to be elected President. I’m sure that if I like something (tattoos, $2.99 bottles of red wine, Insane Clown Posse), it’s a reflection of my unique tastes, not a phase I’ll outgrow.
Turning 35 feels like a milestone. To honor that, I’m putting together a list of 35 things I plan to do this year.
1. March in four Mardi Gras parades (Sparta, Druids, Krewe d’Etat and Thoth) with Gris Gris Strut.
2. Go to Portland in March with Laura and get matching tattoos.
3. Go to Hawaii this summer with Bryan.
4. Publish my debut novel in July.
5. Take Dan Blank’s book marketing course (starts today!)
6. Get better at using my camera’s manual mode using A Beautiful Mess’s e-course as a guide.
7. Start learning Photoshop. (I am scared. It looks hard.)
8. Rebrand this blog using Hagar’s design skillz.
9. Organize my closet and quit storing pants in the kitchen cabinets.
10. Try out blonde hair.
11. Wear the same outfit to work five days in a row and see if anyone notices.
12. Go to the dentist.
13. Harness Jason Kruppa‘s vision for an author portrait. “I like weird, too,” Kruppa says. “Odd gestures, odd props, a surreal air.”
14. Finish writing my next novel. (Currently in revision hell. HELL!)
15. Go to Jazz Fest.
16. Bike the Tammany Trace and visit the Abita Mystery House.
17. Get LASIK.
Go to Houston, stay in a fancy hotel and hit up the free museums. (KIND OF A CHEAT BECAUSE I DID THIS LAST WEEKEND.)
19. Read in a place that’s not my couch. Like, go to a park and read sometime.
20. Acquire and wear Spanx at least once to see what the fuss is about.
21. Run the Jazz Half Marathon. But it is ON HALLOWEEN this year. This seems like terrible planning.
22. Trap this cute feral cat that’s been hanging out on the porch and make him love me.
23. Buy myself flowers at least once.
24. Take many luxurious naps.
25. Get an IPL photofacial from Janna Haas, nurse-practitioner and rosacea-treater extraordinaire.
26. Work really hard at selling out with this blog by getting paid advertising and sponsored posts.
27. Talk to Jenn Nunes‘ students at Southern University. I’m excited to do this. Jenn writes fun and beautiful poems and used to be my roommate.
28. Do a tiny book tour when my book comes out.
30. Host many Europeans on their summer holidays through airbnb.
31. Shamelessly Instagram many selfies.
32. Dinner parties, backyard grill parties, birthday parties, holiday parties… just host a ton of parties.
33. Grow and eat vegetables and basil. We got a free garden through Green Light New Orleans, so there is no excuse.
34. Try vlogging on Youtube.
35. Be happy that I’m ALIVE AND 35.