So there’s something like…23 days left in 2015 or something? Let’s revisit my 2015 goals and see which ones I achieved and which ones bit the dust.
1. March in four Mardi Gras parades (Sparta, Druids, Krewe d’Etat and Thoth) with Gris Gris Strut.
YES. I did this!
2. Go to Portland in March with Laura and get matching tattoos.
Nailed this one, too.
3. Go to Hawaii this summer with Bryan.
BOOM. Three for three.
4. Publish my debut novel in July.
This also happened.
5. Take a book marketing course.
I did this and found it a waste of money. New resolution: don’t buy any more Internet courses.
6. Get better at using my camera’s manual mode using A Beautiful Mess’s e-course as a guide.
Did this NOT AT ALL.
7. Start learning Photoshop.
OK, I have just barely started to do this. I do have a new work computer with Photoshop installed, and I used it retouch a photo. Giving myself a D minus on this one.
8. Rebrand this blog using Hagar’s design skillz.
NAILED IT. You can see the fruits of my labor right before your very eyes!
9. Organize my closet and quit storing pants in the kitchen cabinets.
I still store pants in the kitchen drawers. I did organize my closet but it’s messy again. So… I get a C for this.
10. Try out blonde hair.
Did this, too. I don’t like myself with blonde hair so I’m back to using henna now.
11. Wear the same outfit to work five days in a row and see if anyone notices.
Yes, completed this task.
12. Go to the dentist.
Did this, TWICE. No cavities; plaque aplenty.
13. Harness Jason Kruppa‘s vision for an author portrait.
CHECK. Here it is!
14. Finish writing my next novel. (Currently in revision hell. HELL!)
Uh. Not done. Still revising. But there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
15. Go to Jazz Fest.
Yes, did this and it was fun.
16. Bike the Tammany Trace and visit the Abita Mystery House.
This was also a blast! We didn’t get to the Mystery House because Bryan kept getting flat tires. 2016 resolution: bike the trace, hit the house and CAMP.
17. Get LASIK.
Hahaha. I got PRK. I am laughing because I am remembering how fucked up of an experience it was. Totally glad I did it, though. I see 20-2o now.
Go to Houston, stay in a fancy hotel and hit up the free museums. (KIND OF A CHEAT BECAUSE I DID THIS LAST WEEKEND.)
Accomplished this, obviously.
19. Read in a place that’s not my couch. Like, go to a park and read sometime.
Uh, I don’t think I actually did the easiest thing on here? This weekend I’ll bring a book to Crescent Park and report back.
20. Acquire and wear Spanx at least once to see what the fuss is about.
This was a real success! Spanx are great. I wore them at this hair show and was so pleased to have them under an all-too-clingy H&M jumpsuit.
21. Run the Jazz Half Marathon. But it is ON HALLOWEEN this year. This seems like terrible planning.
Dropped the ball on this one and I don’t regret it.
22. Trap this cute feral cat that’s been hanging out on the porch and make him love me.
So the feral cat still kind of hates me, but she birthed two sons under my couch, and THEY love me. Awwww.
23. Buy myself flowers at least once.
CRAP! I forgot to do this. Better hit Rouses’ floral department STAT.
24. Take many luxurious naps.
You better believe I owned this one.
25. Get an IPL photofacial from Janna Haas, nurse-practitioner and rosacea-treater extraordinaire.
Totally killed this one, too.
26. Work really hard at selling out with this blog by getting paid advertising and sponsored posts.
Haha, no. I decided that was a really dumb idea and stopped trying.
27. Talk to Jenn Nunes‘ students at Southern University.
This was fun!
28. Do a tiny book tour when my book comes out.
I mean… I did signings in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, so maybe? I get a D minus on this.
Pretty sure I had lunch with all these women in 2015. Awesome.
30. Host many Europeans on their summer holidays through airbnb.
Yes. Here’s the worst/best (as in most entertaining) feedback I got from angry middle-aged Germans:
We were very scared about the unkempt house. So much dirt especially in the bathroom and in the kitchen we ( Europeans ) not used.
What Carlo loved about your listing: “The bikes offered. Nothing more, unfortunately!!!” What Carlo thinks you can improve: “Cleanliness!!! We have never experienced such a ungepfechtes house. The brought us towels were used partly by the hosts, dirty and with holes, milk that we bought and had “our” Trade in the refrigerator was consumed , not much.
Candle wax on the dresser in the living room , everywhere and dirty . ”
Amenities feedback: No, reluctantly on demand made a little space in Kühlshrank . No trace of washing machine etc. ”
Cleanliness feedback: “Cleaning, sometimes wipe, send not only an outdated Staubsaugroboter shrieking through the apartment , cleanliness was completely lacking !!!! ”
Communication Feedback :”For the dirt far too expensive.”
31. Shamelessly Instagram many selfies.
32. Dinner parties, backyard grill parties, birthday parties, holiday parties… just host a ton of parties.
We had a fair amount of parties, so I feel good about this.
33. Grow and eat vegetables and basil.
This also happened, but the basil crop was less than robust due to an overly shady location.
34. Try vlogging on Youtube.
Failed at this one, but I DID Youtube my PRK surgery.
35. Be happy that I’m ALIVE AND 35.
Did y’all nail your 2015 resolutions? What are you considering for 2016? Is it too soon to think about this? I can’t help it. I love resolutions.